Jeffrey Williams
exceptional homes. exceptional service

The newly revised website of the
Gillespie Central Appraisal District is the best first-stop for information on the largest type of tax you will be facing as a local property owner.  This site provides the forms necessary to (for example) file for Homestead, Disabled Veterans and Wildlife Management tax exemptions, Notices of Protest (to property valuation) and applications for agricultural appraisal.

The GCAD site also provides useful information on understanding the property tax process and has posted the most current adopted tax rates. 

Perhaps the most fun part of the site is the Property Search page that allows searches by Owner Name, Property Address, Account Number and Doing Business as (DBA).

This site also contains informative and important links for anyone purchasing property that is currently assessed under the 1-d-1, 1-d and/or wildlife management exemptions.  Please note that these exemptions and the properties to which they apply can be subject to “rollback” taxes should a new owner change the actual use of the property to one not “exempt” under the above programs.  This “rollback” may make it necessary pay taxes that would have accrued under this new use for the past 5 years.  As you might imagine, this number can be substantial.

If you currently live outside the great State of Texas and are considering relocating to the state to (in part) escape the higher taxes so common in other parts of the U.S., you already know we are not subject to any form of "income tax".  There are, however, a plethora of other taxes, fees, assessments, etc., etc. that are inescapable.  The Comptroller of Public Accounts is the best resource with which to review what you might be facing in your own unique situation.  The biggies in Texas are our property taxes (see links above) and sales taxes.



 Disclaimer: All information on this web site is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified.